January 26, 2023
What Skills Does a Pipefitter Need?
Pipefitters install and maintain heavy-duty piping systems that contain and transport chemicals and gasses.
Pipefitters often operate in industrial settings and work with durable pipe materials like metals that can handle high-pressure substances.
What are some of the skills and interests a pipefitter should have to set them up for success?
- Being Active: Pipefitting involves some physical activity and the use of tools like a hack saw and pipe clamp.
- Being Outside: Pipefitters primarily work outside or in outdoor conditions.
- Detail-Oriented: Precision is important in pipefitting.
- Math & Numbers: Pipefitters use calculations to properly measure, cut and fit pipes.
- Troubleshooting: Pipefitters often need to troubleshoot to identify problems and find solutions.
To learn more about careers as a pipefitter, check out our pipefitter career page.