September 7, 2023
What Skills Does a Sheet Metal Worker Need?
Sheet metal workers cut and shape sheets of thin metal to fabricate products such as air ducts and roofing elements.
Many modern sheet metal fabrication shops use computers and special equipment such as laser cutters to assist in their work.
What are some of the skills and interests a sheet metal worker should have to set them up for success?
- Being Active: Sheet metal work involves some physical activity and the use of tools like wire cutters and angle grinders.
- Being Outside: Sheet metal workers primarily work outside or in outdoor conditions.
- Computers & Technology: Sheet metal workers work with technology frequently in their job.
- Detail-Oriented: Precision is important in sheet metal work.
- Math & Numbers: Sheet metal workers use calculations to measure and cut angles.
- Teamwork: Sheet metal workers often work and collaborate with others on a team.
To learn more about careers as a sheet metal worker check out our sheet metal worker career page.